Secondary Schools

This covers what is called "school" in the UK and "high school" in the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. That is the ages of 12 to 16, or 18 depending which country we are talking about. In England, this level of education takes place mainly in the state sector, in what are called “comprehensive schools”.

Generally speaking, those who can afford it send their kids to private-sector schools, it is this segment of secondary education that we will be looking at here.

First, we have to deal with some confusing terminology. The terms "private", "public", and "independent" all mean the same thing in the UK – you have to pay! The term "public school" generally only applies to schools that are charities, rather than those making a profit. The preferred term now is “independent school”.

 In the USA and Canada, the terms junior high or senior high are commonly used no matter whether the school is in the private or public sector. However the education systems vary from country to country so it is best to have a good understanding of the differences before checking out the schools.

 Still confused? Then contact your nearest GetSet centre and our knowledgeable staff will guide you through.