About > About Canada > Canadian Visas

Canadian Visas

Do I need a student visa to study in Canada?

Yes, if you are from a country NOT included in the visa exemptions list. If your country is on the visa exemptions list but your course of study is over 6 months you need a visa.
Of the countries where GetSet has centres, only Taiwan is included in the visa exemptions list.

How do I get a Study permit for Canada?

Before you apply for a study permit you must get a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution. The acceptance letter will include a Designated Learning Number (DLI) which begins with the letter "O"

What is a designated Learning Institution?

All Primary and secondary schools in Canada are automatically designated and you do not need a DLI number if applying for this kind of school.

There is a list for designated post-secondary institutions and language schools, you can contact GetSet to find out which schools are on the list.

What else do I need?

You will also need the following:

Can I work while I am studying in Canada?

Yes and if the work is on-campus you don’t need a work permit as long as your course is full time and you are studying at a public post-secondary institution such as a university or college. It is also possible to work on-campus at private universities that are authorized to confer degrees.

Can I work off-campus?

You may be eligible to work 20 hours a week off campus without a work permit if you meet the following requirements:

Can I work as a Co-op Student?

To be eligible for a work permit, you must meet the following conditions:

Can I stay in Canada after I graduate to work?

Yes but you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). If you want to stay in Canada as a permanent resident after you graduate.

Under this scheme a work permit can be issued for a maximum of three years and a minimum of eight months. The length of time given will be equal to the length of time you were studying to a maximum of three years.

It may even be possible for you to apply for permanent residence when you graduate if you have the skills and qualities that can contribute to the Canadian economy.

2016-08-12 Meet Sandeep from INTO Marshall
2015-09-25 GetSet IELTS Preparation Classes opening
2015-09-12 IELTS is back in Nepal
2015-08-12 Meet GetSet in Kathmandu
Window on UK Culture - Halloween
Ghost and goblins, pumpkins, not to mention witches. Its Halloween!
This Month in UK History - October
The Iron Lady born, one in the eye for Harold, GMT and the BBC all in historical October.
Student Offers