About > About Australia > Australian Visas

Australian Visas

Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

To study in Australia you must have a valid Australian student visa. Student visas are temporary visas that allow people to go to Australia for a specified period to study at an Australian educational institution.

There are many different types of visa depending on the type and level of your intended study.

Which visa should I apply for?

At the time of writing, the following are the different types of Australian student visas available:

Don’t worry about this part as our experienced GetSet will guide you through the application for your Australian visa.

How do I apply for an Australian student visa?

Student visas can be applied for on-line and all supporting documents can be uploaded if you are residing in a level 1 assessed country, for Example Taiwan.

Online application is also available to residents of the People’s Republic of China.

For an on-line visa application you will need at minimum the following:

If you are not eligible for online application, in addition to the above mentioned you will also have to provide:

What does Streamline visa processing mean?

If you have a CoE from an eligible education provider or educational business partner you can qualify for Streamline processing which basically means that you will get your visa quicker. The list consists of universities, their pathway/English language provider partners and TAFE colleges

To find out more information about the list of eligible education provider or educational business partner listing contact your nearest GetSet centre.

How long does the process take?

This depends on the assessment level of your country.

The assessment levels for the countries where GetSet has centres are;

Taiwan – level 1 (14 days)

China, Vietnam, Myanmar, Philippines – level 3 for most study visa categories (3 months)

When should I arrive in Australia?

You can arrive in Australia any time after the date indicated on your visa. You are allowed to apply for your visa 124 days (4 months) before the start of your course if applying from outside Australia.

Can I work in Australia on a student visa?

On a student visa you are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight while study is in session. During recognised vacation periods, you are permitted to work unlimited hours. You are not permitted to work until you have commenced your studies.

If you are enrolled on a master’s by research or a doctorate program (subclass 574 student visa holders) you are permitted to work unlimited hours once you have commenced the course. If you are on a course such as an English language program prior to your research course,  you are limited to 40 hours per fortnight during that course.

How long can I stay in Australia on completion of my studies?

You should leave Australia 28 working days after you course finishes. However it is possible to apply for a post study work visa once you have completed your studies but you would need to graduate with either a bachelor’s master’s or doctoral degree.

If you only hold a vocational diploma, high school qualification or a language certificate from an Australian institution you will not be eligible for the post study work visa.

2016-08-12 Meet Sandeep from INTO Marshall
2015-09-25 GetSet IELTS Preparation Classes opening
2015-09-12 IELTS is back in Nepal
2015-08-12 Meet GetSet in Kathmandu
Window on UK Culture - Halloween
Ghost and goblins, pumpkins, not to mention witches. Its Halloween!
This Month in UK History - October
The Iron Lady born, one in the eye for Harold, GMT and the BBC all in historical October.
Student Offers